Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fourth Impression - Friends. Faith. And Flying.

Friends. No matter where we may be physically, where are we without them?

Faith. In self. In shipmates. In friends. In the Navy. In your elected political representatives (or not). In God (or the Deity of your choice).

Flying. I was wondering when we were finally going to see those Landing Signals Officers (LSOs). With the float coats. Pitching deck. Landing at night. And they really do stand around and cheer and boo as they watch their colleagues attempt to land. Just like he said!

For me, the really neat part of watching Carrier now, after having hung out at Lex's for close to two years, is putting the visuals with the written words. I've read my share of sea stories. Now I am watching small pieces of them acted out as they actually happened.

I got quite a few chuckles out of last night's episodes, too. Those red leisure suits were hilarious.

Loved the 'wine tasting' . Do you curve your pinky finger for that? Actually that scene reminded me of a friend from college (and beyond). Looked like a scheme she would have (in fact, still might) come with to get a cheap drunk on.

And some of what I chuckled at ... um, well, I'm not sure I was actually suppose to be laughing at it. But it was funny. In a weird, politically incorrect sort of way.

But surprisingly, I'm rather glad that the last episodes are on tonight. It was an interesting show and I'm glad I watched it. But I am starting to tire of it now. Not quite sure exactly why. Too much negativity? Too much angst? Not enough flying action? Too many late nights (for me)? I'm really not sure. At any rate, it's one more night, one more set of final impressions. Then I expect I will be back to getting my naval aviation fix from Neptunus Lex.

Anyone got any good sea stories?

Update: Have been mulling over this comment Lex made.
It’s very easy for a young person to say that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, but it takes a bit more for the average 19-year old sailor - who was 14 years old when all of this started and only 12 on September 11th, 2001 ...
Which I hadn't quite thought of that way. That those 19 year olds on the Flight Deck were only 12 years old on 9/11. Twelve year old kids. Which both makes me feel very old and gives me a whole new sense of respect for what they are doing now. I suppose I can put with a bit of their griping. When you put it that way.

No comments: